Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Heart My Family

Last week Joseph and I went to Texas to attend my grandmother's funeral. After many years of suffering from Alzheimer's she passed away. So, while our family was sad to say goodbye, we were happy to see  her relieved from her suffering.

Before leaving I was pretty nervous about flying with Joseph by myself. I think because our plans were last minute I didn't have time to mentally prepare myself, so I stressed a lot about how exactly I was going to get through the airport (because, you know, babies come with so. much. stuff.). Luckily, everything went smoothly.
Joseph's first plane ride!
I was grateful to run into so many people willing to help me out during our trip. I had several people offer to help me break down the stroller and car seat or help hold a bag or two while I dealt with Joseph. It was really nice. And it's not that I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own, but it was definitely easier with a little help.
Once we made it to Texas, Joseph was in baby heaven - he got to nurse any time he wanted, he got loved on, doted on and played with by all his aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandpa - basically anything he wanted he got...as soon as he wanted it.
Here are a few pictures from the week.
Joseph and cousin Clare
Joseph and I had a great time visiting with family, and Joseph got to meet his two aunts that he hadn't met yet plus a bunch of his great aunts, great uncles, second cousins and even a few third cousins (the children of my cousins - those are Joseph's third cousins, right?).
Joseph meets Aunt Dinora
Aunt Kristin, cousin Beth and baby Clare
Beth, Uncle Joe and Joseph
Grandma would have had a great time with us. We enjoyed telling stories about grandma and reminiscing about "the good 'ol days." I particularly enjoyed hearing my aunts and uncles tell all kinds of stories from their childhood.
Clare is checking Joseph out
Joseph meets Aunt Jeannette
Grandpa is so cozy to sleep on
I also enjoyed learning more about my grandparents and watching a beautiful video put together by my Aunt Kristin from my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. It was so sweet hearing their voices again and listening to them talk about their relationship. It was quite obvious how much they loved one another and their children. What a blessing to have such a large, loving family! 
Aunt Nancy, Aunt Margo, Alicia and Joseph
Joseph with Aunt Marie
Joseph with Aunt Beth
Alix and Clare
Abby and Joseph
Aunt Alyse, Joey and Joseph
(I think this is my favorite picture from the week)
I had a hard time not posting every. single. picture. that I took. I'm a little obsessed with my sweet Joseph and my awesome family. It was great seeing you all last week - I love you all!

I love you Grandma!

A Prayer for Grandma - "Sweet Alice"
God our Father,
Your power brings us to birth,
Your providence guides our lives,
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence,
their lives change but do not end.
I pray in hope for my family,
relatives and friends,
and for all the dead known to You alone.

In company with Christ,
Who died and now lives,
may they rejoice in Your kingdom,
where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family,
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy,

What a beautiful post. Such a bittersweet visit...saying good-bye to Grandma and catching up with family. She would've loved seeing all the babies. So glad you brought Joseph. What a cutie pie!

Hope to see you soon,
Kristin