Monday, September 26, 2011

Workout Routine?

     In an attempt to shed that pesky pregnancy weight that decided to stick around I've started thinking about how I can get in to some kind of workout routine. And the more I think about it the more I'm exhausted. Simply thinking about incorporating a workout routine into my schedule wears me out.
I have a hard enough time keeping up with basic household chores - laundry, dishes and dinner.    
     Nevermind all those other chores that need to get done around the house. I mean, thank goodness my mom cleaned our bathrooms when she and my dad first came to visit Joseph (when he was a week old) because I've only cleaned the bathrooms twice since then...eeks!
     The filing of papers is on the verge of happening. I did actually get all the papers into their proper piles (after several months of not filing the papers that came into this house there was quite a stack to be sorted through) now all I have to do is take them upstairs and file them away. That was actually one of my goals for the second half of last week and it has yet to happen because Joseph has been extra needy lately - you know, always wanting to be held, never wanting to sleep...
     I could go on about all the things that need to get done around here, but I won't bore you. The point is if I can't find time to do basic chores around the house how in the world am I supposed to find time to workout? I do take Joseph for walks - he loves to go on walks - but that isn't exactly working out.
And if I sweat at all I feel like I should take a shower right away which only adds to the amount of time I feel like I need to be able to block out in order to workout.
     Maybe I'm just making excuses. It's true that I never had any kind of strict workout routine before I got pregnant. But I did get out an exercise much more frequently. And it's also true that I generally hate working out. But I feel like I need to do something to get back into shape. Every time I do go for a walk I can tell that I'm noticeably less "in shape."
     Now, after reading this article I definitely feel like incorporating a few good workouts into my week is a necessity. Has anyone had success working a regular workout into their schedule with an infant in the house? If so, how did you do it? What did you do? I'm up for any and all suggestions.

3 comments:

Lucy The Valiant said...

I'm in the same boat! The only way I have time to work out is if I get up waaaay early, but when I do that, I don't want to work out! I want coffee and blogs! And there goes two hours! Sigh..

Unapologetic Conservative said...

I actually like working out at about 3pm? I also like Barrys Bootcamp. You can do it from home, and each exercise is only like 60 seconds, so not boring. Of course, I'm in the same boat - must lose weight, seemingly no time. But, I don't have kids, I have a business, also v needy :)

Unknown said...

I actually found that taking a walk after we woke up in the early morning helped to get home and kick-start my day! I would get home and pour coffee and couldn't sit still because I was too jazzed up from my walk. After a few weeks of walking, slowly upping the amount I walked each day as I felt like I could do more, I eventually discovered that I had way more energy and started doing toning exercises with my Netflix Watch Instantly! There are a few workouts on there that are called "Crunch: blah blah blah" and I would do a 40 minute workout in the afternoon because I felt like I could handle it easily! It was a slow and steady progression to get there. Don't look to me for advice now though - I'm completely out of training from laziness. I don't work out anymore but when I did, I felt like a million bucks. After 3 weeks, I couldn't imagine NOT working out. But then after 3 weeks of not working out, I was too lazy to start up again :)