Sunday, March 11, 2012

Computer-less for a Week

A couple weeks ago I had to take our computer in to get fixed. The screen would randomly go black and it was getting annoying. Little did we know that it would take nearly a week for our computer to be fixed.   A couple of years ago this wouldn't have bothered me as I would have just checked my email at work and dealt with no computer while I was at home. But now that I'm at home full time it was a little more challenging going without a computer (especially the internet) for six days. Even though I had already given up most of my time on the internet for Lent it was still a challenge not being able to communicate by email because that's typically how I contact people.
It was definitely a wake up call for me and made me realize my attachment to our computer. And isn't that what we are all called to do - detach ourselves from the things of this world so that we can love our Lord more deeply? Up until that week I had always thought that I wasn't all that attached to my computer - that I could survive easily without it. Now I know otherwise. I know that, yes, I can survive just as easily without it, but I am definitely attached to it. Not having our computer for those six days actually caused me some anxiety, and that's a problem.
So where do I go from here? That is what I'm left to figure out.

No comments: