Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Basement Has Been Tiled

When Will and I bought our house we were very fortunate because we were able to find a house that was move-in ready. There were only minor details that we wanted to change. One "detail" that we were eventually planning on changing was the basement flooring. It was carpet when we first moved in. While the carpet was going to need to be changed out eventually - it had random stains from pets/teenagers from the previous owners - we didn't expect to have to change it this soon. But, a few water spills from our washer created a bit of a musty smell in the basement (that problem has since been fixed thank goodness). Then I noticed a little bit of mold on the baseboards because getting the carpet completely dry was really difficult even after we bought a dehumidifier (don't get me started on how expensive those things are!). The mold was the final straw. The carpet needed to be dealt with ASAP.

One of my friends suggested I consider tiling the basement instead of simply replacing the carpet. I liked the idea, and about a month later I had her help me pick out some tile for the basement. Here's a quick look at the before and after shots of the basement. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures before the carpet was being taken up, so you'll have to use your imagination where the floor is bare :)

view as you come down the stairs

view as you come down the stairs

lovely pink couch and bag of carpet

This is the corner where the mold was starting. You can see a black
line at the bottom of the baseboards where the mold was.

Now for the after pictures. I am SOOOO happy with the results. It looks so nice. It looks like an entirely different room.

view as you come down the stairs

couch and former mold corner


YAY for beautiful new tile! I'd like to say thanks to my friend Julie for helping me choose the tile and Anne for installing it!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with your handy-ness! We have lots of ugly carpet at our place. Feel free to come on over when you get the hankering to relive the experience. Hehe.