Sunday, January 9, 2011

Guacamole

For New Years Eve this year Will and I had a few people over. Neither of us is crazy about the holiday, but we (or do I mean I?) felt obligated to do SOMETHING to celebrate the holiday.
For this gathering I made 2 appetizers: guacamole and spinach dip. In this blog post I'll talk about the guacamole :) I love guacamole because it's easy to make, it's delicious and it's fairly healthy for you (in small quantities).
I didn't shop for any food until the day before New Years Eve (because I'm a bit of a procrastinator), so I wasn't sure what the avocado situation would be. Finding good, ripe avocado's is key to getting your guacamole to turn out well. Luckily, I was able to find a couple good avocados.

Below you'll find the list of ingredients I used in my guacamole. Note: these are all estimates, I didn't actually measure anything.

2 avocados
1/2 C chopped onion
1/3 C diced tomato
lime juice

To make the guacamole I cut the avocados in half, scooped out the avocado inside (I set aside the pit for later use) and mashed the avocado. Once the avocado had a chunky-mashed-potato like consistency I mixed in the onion, tomato and lime juice. I then transferred the finished product into a serving dish along with one of the avocado pits.
About a year ago I learned this sneaky trick: if you leave the avocado pit in the guacamole it helps keep it from browning. Weird, but it seemed to work.

Here's a picture of the finished product.

You can kind of see the pit in the middle there.

The guacamole went well on my "dip tray." Yumm!

1 comment:

Julia Romeiser said...

Guacamole is a Fischer favorite! Even little Adam loves it (and he's a picky, picky eater). :)