Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Need Powdered Sugar in a Pinch?

I recently needed powdered sugar for this recipe. But, after meticulously making my shopping list and returning home I realized I had somehow managed to forget the powdered sugar. It never even made my shopping list (so much for being so meticulous)! Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until it was time to put the powdered sugar into the peanut butter pie. And I needed to make the pie as quickly as possible so it had time to set before the potluck that night. My husband reluctantly agreed to go to the store and pick some up for me, but he wanted to finish doing something first so it was going to be about 20-30 minutes before he went (I had literally just gotten home from the store and put away the groceries).
I decided to see if there were any easy, practical powdered sugar substitutes. So, I went online and began searching. I was happy to learn that you can quickly "make your own" powdered sugar by putting granulated sugar in a blender and blending it on high. So, that's what I did!



Now, I don't think the consistency is quite what you'd get with store bought powdered sugar, but it works when you're in a fix. And for how infrequently I use (and therefore have) powdered sugar this is certainly a handy tip to know!

No comments: