Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Applesauce

I made my first batch of applesauce yesterday. I was so proud of myself. I almost didn't make it because when I looked up directions for making applesauce online it seemed so complicated, and it looked like I was going to need some extra kitchen gadgets that I don't already have.
But yesterday I looked at the bag of apples sitting on my counter just waiting to go bad and I decided to improvise. I figured if I screwed it up it wouldn't really matter that much because I wasn't going to eat all those apples anyway.
I started by using my apple corer/slicer to remove the cores then I peeled the apples. I threw them in a pot with some water and let them boil for a bit (10-15 minutes maybe?).

I then took the apples in a blender with the water they cooked in and pureed everything.

And, voila: applesauce! So easy! So simple!
One word of caution - I did mine in two batches and the first batch turned out a little better than the second because I added a little too much water to the second batch. So, next time I'll go easy on how much water I initially put in the blender and add more if I feel like it needs it.

No comments: