Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Five Favorites - Vol. 1


This is my first time joining in with Five Favorites, and I'm so excited to join in on the fun! Usually it's hosted by Hallie at Moxie Wife, but this week Grace of Camp Patton is guest hosting - head on over to the Camp for more favorites.


Since having my first baby just over two years ago I've started to develop some favorite recipes for new moms. I love recipes that are simple to put together , taste great and freeze really well.
Here are my 5 favorite recipes for new moms (to take or have brought to me) .


1 - Shrimp Pasta
I randomly found this recipe in the October 2011 issue of Parenting magazine. I often find recipes in magazines and think to myself "oh - that looks yummy!" but almost never actually make the recipe. For some reason I decided to give this one a try, and I am so glad I did!
The recipe I linked forgot to list bread crumbs in the ingredient list - don't forget those! They're very important. I alter the recipe slightly by using medium, frozen shrimp (which I thaw before cooking), doubling the tomatoes, using a very generous amount of bread crumbs (probably more like 1/3 cup) and just throwing a bunch of spinach in (sometimes a whole bag). I also use vegetable broth if I'm making it on a Friday.
My only caveat for this recipe is that it has lots of steps. The whole process makes a big mess in the kitchen (read: lots of dishes), but it's totally worth it! And once you've made the recipe once or twice you get the timing down and can have it ready in about 30 minutes (45 or so with littles running around).

2 - Ravioli Lasagna
Ravioli Lasagna Recipe
source
I just recently discovered the concept of ravioli lasagna through a friend and found this recipe (that I love!) online. I love it because it's so simple to put together, freezes really well and can be doubled easily - and it tastes just like lasagna!

3 - Salmon
My husband and I both love seafood - especially salmon. I discovered a version of this recipe while we were dating, but I lost the recipe at some point and just went with what I remembered while switching from pan searing the salmon to baking it. This recipe is super easy and delicious. I often make it for special occasions or to treat a brand new mama (especially if I'm bringing the meal on a Friday!). I particularly like salmon with some couscous and fresh green beans.

4 - Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie IX Recipe
source
Who doesn't love a good chicken pot pie? I love this recipe. It isn't the easiest recipe in the world, but it's not particularly difficult either and it tastes great. I haven't tried freezing this particular recipe, but hope to soon (I'm a sucker for a good meal that I can double and freeze).

5 - Chicken and Wild Rice
I discovered this Chicken and Wild Rice recipe shortly after John was born. My dad came up for a visit and asked if he could cook for us. I had several freezer meals pinned that I wanted to try so I had him whip this together for us. I've since made it on my own. It's delicious and seriously easy to make - and it's a freezer meal, too. Win, win, win!

No comments: