Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken Tiki Masala


A little over a month ago my Uncle Joe gave me one of his favorite recipes. During my first trimester chicken really didn't appeal to me and made me sort of nauseous when I ate it, so I had to wait a few weeks to make the dish (that chicken aversion seems to have gone away). But when I made it it was well worth the wait. It's actually really easy to make, and I made mine without the onion and it still tasted great!

Chicken Tiki Masala

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
4 boneless chicken breast (my uncle cuts up a rotisserie from the store, I used raw chicken and cut it into strips)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 table spoon garam masala (spice from Indian store very cheap)
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 onion chopped

Pulse tomatoes in blender (keep separate)
cook or cut meat
cook onion and garlic with oil until soft
add garam masala and ginger and cook medium heat for 1 minute
add tomatos
add cream
add cilantro
add salt and pepper to taste

Serve with rice and Naan bread (I was able to find Naan at my local grocery store, although I hear it’s cheaper if you get it at an Indian store).

And now that I'm looking over the recipe again I realize I made it wrong. Oops! I somehow thought it said to use 1 cup of heavy cream. NO WONDER it wasn't very spicy!!! Hahaha! Now I feel like (an idiot and) I need to make it again the real way.

Here are some pictures of what your chicken probably won't look like (because you'll know to use only 1/4 cup of heavy cream)....



3 large chicken breasts cut into strips - I only used 3 chicken
breasts because they were each so big (nearly 1lb each).
chicken before I added the heavy cream
The last 2 chicken strips left. I forgot to take a picture
before we ate - oops (again!).
Adding 1 cup of heavy cream made the sauce a little sweet, so if that's what you're going for now you know how to accomplish it :)

No comments: