Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pizza

I have a great love for pizza. Unfortunately, my husband does not. This is mostly because dairy tends to wreak havoc on his digestive system. So, I decided to make homemade pizza last week that way I could control how much cheese was put on the pizza. I have used this pizza dough recipe before and love it because it's quick, easy, and tastes really good if you like your crust to be a bit on the thick side. Here's the recipe I used:

Pizza

2pkg active dry yeast
1 1/4 C warm water
1/4 C oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 T sugar
4 C flour, divided
Yellow corn meal

In bowl mix yeast with 2 C of flour.
Add water, oil, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
Add additional flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Let rest 10 minutes.
Grease pizza pans and sprinkle lightly with corn meal.
Roll dough to size.
Add pizza toppings.
Bake at 375 for 20 mins.

I just used regular marinara sauce on our pizza, although next time I'll definitely use more than I think it needs. I'll also put more cheese on my side of the pizza. When the crust rose it made both the sauce a cheese much thinner than I had anticipated. I will also note, however, that I used "highly active dry yeast" - maybe that's why my dough rose so much.
rolled out dough
Making homemade pizza worked out well. I was able to put lots of cheese on my side of the pizza along with the toppings I like (I chose spinach and onion with a little ham on a couple slices), and just a sprinkle of cheese on my husband's side along with his preferred toppings (ham and pepperoni). It was also significantly cheaper than ordering pizza, and I'm sure that one day my pizza will taste just as good as take-out pizza.
Homemade pizza right out of the oven.
One more thought - if you prefer a thinner crust I think it would work to split the dough in 2 and make 2 pizzas by simply rolling the dough really thin. I'm still working on my pizza-dough-rolling-skillz. As soon as I find a method that works (or seems to work) particularly well, I'll be sure to share that with you.

No comments: