Sunday, January 1, 2012

Are You In?

Happy New Year!! I've decided that I am going to give up sweets for the year 2012. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I've been thinking about it for a while now and I've decided the time is right. It will be good for me both physically and spiritually.
Physically, I'm pretty sure I'll lose some serious poundage. Goal-wise I don't have a particular weight I'm aiming for, but I would like to be able to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes comfortably. I do plan on keeping track of my weight, but don't want to put too much emphasis on it.
Spiritually, I'm sure I'm going to have to lean on God to make it through the entire year, and hopefully I will get a better grasp on eating in moderation (I am the worst at this when sugar is involved). I am thinking of this as a sort of year-long Lent. I hope to find ways to offer up my desires/urges for sugar.

Beyond the physical and spiritual aspects of giving up sweets I also think it will be good for me to model good eating habits for Joseph. The first year of eating solids is so important for the development of lifelong eating habits and I want Joseph to have the best foundation possible.

Here's my game plan for the year.
I won't eat sweets except on pre-selected days throughout the year. These days include:
Easter
Joseph's birthday day/birthday party
My sister's wedding
Thanksgiving
My birthday
Christmas


Items officially not included in the "sweets" category
soda/pop
plain pancakes

Items officially included in the "sweets" category
doughnuts
chocolate chip pancakes

I only make the above distinctions to hold myself accountable. All of those items (in my mind) can be debated as to whether they're officially "sweets."

So there you have it. My new years resolution is set. And now I actually have to follow through with it because it has been declared to the entire blogosphere. I'd love if you'd join me. I am so grateful to already have three people joining me (thanks to my sisters Julia, Jeannette and Alyse!) - it will be helpful for keeping me on track.

If you're not up for this particular challenge, do you have some other new years resolution you're making?

No comments: